How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask airheatman Your Own Question
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 7718
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
airheatman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a problem with my Trane furnace. Can you help me?

Customer Question

I have a problem with my Trane furnace. Can you help me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If board is sending signal to valve but no gas coming out you either have a gas pressure issue or a bad valve.Make sure the switch on gas valve is ON position and gas cock is turned inline with gas pipe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch on gas valve is ON position and gas cock is turned inline with gas pipe.
What gas valve model I need to replace AGA 36E22 209?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I am showing the VAL09029.

I like to check gas pressure first but would require a manometer or gas pressure gauge to do so. This particular valve is one of the less expensive valves, so unless you have one of the meters, may be cheaper to just replace the valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago. showed it too but 2 other supply stores online responded with VAL07731 with KIT09419. This is why I was confused. Is there an Installation Instruction for VAL09029 online?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Not sure about the 7731.It may be an upgrade. But either valve should come with an instruction sheet and you can also come back here for guidance if you need help replacing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VAL09029 just has been delivered to my door and I opened the Instruction. My concern is that a list of valves it replaces does not cover 36E22, it covers 36G22 and 36J22. So is it a right replacement?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Based on the info I have, the 9028 should be correct. The other valve may have been a previous replacement. Let me know if you need help and how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now that I've read the Instruction I see that this valve had an outlet Pressure Regulator with Adjustment Range 2.5" - 5". The original 36E22 has this Regulator too and before replacing the valve I want to check whether pressure adjustment may fix the problem. VAL9029 Instruction reads that to adjust Regulator it is necessary first to energize the valve. How to do it?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The pressure should be preset at factory.he natural gas furnace operates at 3.5" water column.Although it is adjustable you should not need to mess with this.This is done by removing a cap screw and loosening or tightening a screw which compresses or decompresses a spring, but again, you should NOT have to do this for the gas furnace you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am suspicious that a technician who changed the blower at the beginning of last summer might played with this regulator to have me call him at the beginning of the heating season. What might be wrong if I try to adjust the regulator?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

It will only make the flame too low or too high.If you adjust too low, you may not get enough gas out to allow burners to touch flame sensor.If too high, flame may roll out tripping limit switch.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Personally I would not adjust as I do not feel this is going to have any effect on your issue since you are getting no gas through valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You want to say that gas pressure has nothing to do with opening the valve? If I energize the new valve with 24 v without connecting it to the gas pipe, it would click?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The Inlet pressure does effect the opening of the valve. If you had low inlet pressure, it may not be enough to actuate the diapraghm in the valve. That goes back to my saying I like to check with a manometer to verify gas in and out of valve before replacing.

The adjustment you are referring to is on the outlet side of valve.It adjusts where we send 2 to 5" of pressure out of valve, but will have no effect on how much pressure is coming in.

And as a rule you will hear the valve click when applying 24 volts. If you do not, the solenoid on the valve is most likely bad which means you would replace the valve as solenoid is considered part of the valve, not normally field replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As my original valve is not clicking when 24 v applied, its solenoid does not work and the valve needs to be replaced, correct?
Why do you want to measure the gas pressure? Can you measure the outlet pressure if solenoid is not open?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK lets back up a minute an cover eveything again.

1. The gas valve should open as long as we have between 5"WC and 7.5" incoming gas pressure and we are getting 24 volts to the solenoid.

2.I like to check and make sure we have sufficient supply pressure to the valve before replacing.

3. If we are getting 24v to the solenoid you should here it click

4.Since you have stated that we are getting24v to the valve and we have no reason to suspect the gas pressure in is low, I would replace the valve.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

5. No you can not check "OUT" pressure unless we get valve to open

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now that you clarified the absence of solenoid clicking when 24 v applied is a sufficient proof of the valve failure, the issue is whether VAL09029 is a right replacement for original AGA 36E22 209 which in Functional Unit Parts for the furnace is shown as Mnemonic Part No.VAL4858.
I am raising this issue because during our chat the White Rodgers Tech Support returned my yesterday's call and explained that White Rodgers does not have a replacement for 36E22 and I need to go to Trane dealer for replacement.
Do you know what is the difference between 36G22, 36J22 (which are covered by VAL09029) and 36E22 and why do you believe this replacement would work?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Either valve should work on your furnace the current parts list I have is recommending the valve I told you to get. The VAL09029.

The 09029 can be used with either spark ignition or hot surface ignition. The 4858 is designed just for the hot surface ignition.

Either should work fine since you have hot surface

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Istall the new valve and let's get some heat going.Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First I need to take off the failed valve. Is there online instructions how to do it?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK there will not be step by step instructions as they intend on a trained technician to be doing, but it is pretty simple.You will just remove the wire, disconnect the supply line and unscrew the valve from the manifold bar. I am going to attach you a generic video.Not exactly like your furnace but will give you the idea.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After watching the video and another one at I came to conclusion this job is not for me given the very tiny space where the furnace and supply pipe is located. So any recommendation on where to find a good technician in North Eastern Massachusetts?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I am in Southern Alabama so would not be familiar with who to recommend there. My suggestion would be to go to Trane website and enter your zip code to find the nearest dealer.

Thanks for letting me work with you.When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't like to go to Trane dealer, it would be very expensive and they would not want to install the valve I purchased. I've just spoke to a technician who will come Sunday to replace the valve. If this valve work I will rate your help with 5 stars plus bonus.
I will keep this page open till Sunday. Have a nice weekend!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A previous message I wrote yesterday but just have noticed that I did not send it to you.
Good morning!
Sorry for bothering you on weekend by I have no choice.
Tomorrow I'm expecting a technician but yesterday night I took another look on the VAL09029 and noticed that despite similar outer sizes with 36E22 the new valve entries for inlet and outlet pipes are further from the valve bottom. Due to that it would not fit above the furnace cover. I don't think that cutting hole in the cover is an acceptable solution.
If I turn the valve 90 degrees to have its top looking at the cabinet opening, the door would not close.
The only way I see (not sure, need to cut the valve silhouette and test if the door would close) is to turn it ~80 degrees when one bottom edge will touch the furnace cover.
What do you think?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Position of the valve can be installed on an angle,That will not effect operation, but we realy don't want ot touching the doo and vibrating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The valve was installed yesterday and the furnace is working but to close the cabinet door its handle needed to be taken off and a piece around the handle hole to be pulled out. So I don't think that the VAL09029 should be recommended for TUE060A936K furnace without solution for door closing. Would you agree?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I personally would agree with you yes, but as a technician, I can only provide information as approved and recommended by the manufacturer.I have always said, I thing designing engineers should have to spend time in the field seeing how these things work in real life situations.I do not see you having any problems using the vale as long as you were able to get panel in place by removing the part, but yes ,it should not be necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VAL09029 valve manufacturer is White Rodger and they do not approve this replacement. What manufacturer approved or recommended this replacement?
We are in process of search for home relocation and the deformed furnace panel with a handle missing would cost me at my condo sale.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

One of my most reliable source ,(Repair Clinic)shows the VAL09029 as the Trane OEM number

When searching for valve for furnace, Keith Specialty shoes the VAL09029

Shorty's shows same valve when searching my furnace model

Midwest Parts also shows same valve

Not sure why all of these would recommend it as correct replacement as they get their recommendations directly from Trane who manufactured your furnace.

I understand the frustration and would possibly consider contacting the source you purchased itt from if they also recommended . This is rare that such an issue arises to have several sources tell us the same valve and it be wrong. I can request a refund of your deposit if you are not satisfied with the service,and my apologies, but again I am relying on these sources which are usually very accurate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please request a refund. I've already called Trane dealers to see what they would recommend.. I hope they will have better replacement and I will replace VAL09029 and the panel and send the valve back to RepairClinic.Thank you for your time and sorry for the result to both of us.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all, We want your complete satisfaction,Sorry for the problems.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I have forwarded to administrators requesting refund.Thanks again

Related HVAC Questions