Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a code 31on a carrier 58sta070 unit, the inducer fan

Customer Question

Customer: I have a code 31on a carrier 58sta070 unit, the inducer fan is running. I got it to start by jumping the pressure sw. I removed the exhaust also and still no pressure
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I substituted another pressure sw. and nothing
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: about how long .I will b away from the computer do you have other means of communication such as text or email
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

You've confirmed that you have a draft issue. The question is do you have a bad switch or a weak fan or a blocked exhaust vent. You can check the vent and also the vac tubing connected to the switch. Be sure the tubing is not kinked, deteriorated or doesn't have water in it. You can also poke a paper clip into the port where the tubing connects but not into the switch connection. If all of that checks out the next thing we would do is put a manometer on the exhaust to check the actual draft pressure but you aren't likely to have a manometer and they are expensive so replacing the switch is one other option since it's less money than a manometer (or a new draft fan) and it is a likely culprit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already tried a new sw. With same result
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Then if none of the ports are blocked and the vent is unobstructed then the the remaining possibilities are a weak fan or a bad board. You need to put a manometer on the draft to determine which one is the culprit. Both parts are too expensive to guess.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

A phone call is an additional charge and there's not a lot I can add to what I've already said.