Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My name is ***** *****. I have a steam furnace that also has

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** *****. I have a steam furnace that also has a hot water zone with a circulation pump. This year the furnace refuses to start. At the honeywell RA832A I have 110vac and 24vac on the T and X terminals both terminals go to 0 when the hot water thermostat calls for heat and no 110 to the pump. When the steam thermo calls for heat T terminals stay at 24vac but the X terminals go down to .6 volts the igniter starts popping but no ignition.
Thanks for any help ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.
What is the brand and model of your furnace? What is the water level in the sight glass?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The furnace is a Weil McLain, The water was low but I filled it to about 3/4 over the weekend when I tried to fire it up for the 1st time this season. Also, even if the water level goes to low and the furnace shuts off, the circulation pump would always continue to run and now it doesnt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model is a EG-45-P1 or Pi
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Getting the circ to run is one thing. Getting the burner to fire up is another. Try this, jump the T terminals on the relay and tell me if the pump runs. If it doesn't and you have power to the pump then you have a bad pump. If you have no power to the pump but you have power to the relay then you have a bad relay. Getting the boiler to fire up is another issue. To do that try jumping the leads where the thermostat connects to the boiler.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK one problem fixed, loose wire. now the relay fires and the circulation pump runs correctly off the hot water thermostat. Now to get the furnace to start. I can hear the popping sound from the igniter. There is no pilot light visible (not sure if there should be) and no glow from what i believe to be the thermo coupler.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

So you have electronic ignition and you hear a ticking noise from the pilot burner (electrode)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If the ticking continues then either the pilot didn't light or the flame sensor (electrode doubles as a flame sensor) isn't detecting the pilot flame. You need to be sure there's no pilot flame. If you can't see it now you need to remove the flame shield above the burners to check. This is a little dicey on the off chance the unit finally responds as it should and the main burners fire up. You could get some roll out of the main burner flame. Not likely but some thing to be aware of an to be prepared for by making sure no wiring has sagged that low near the burners and know just where the service switch is so you can kill the power quickly if necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turned all the lights off in the room and got down on my stomach under the furnace. absolutely no light no pilot light no glow nothing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so you need to determine if you have 24 VAC to PV & MV/PV on the gas valve while the pilot electrode is ticking. If you don't go back to the same terminals on the ignition control and check there. If you don't have 24 v at the valve but you do at the control then the leads are suspect. If you don't have it at the control then the control is suspect. If you do have 24 v at the valve then disconnect/loosen the tubing to the pilot burner and see if you have any gas there. If you do then the pilot burner orifice is clogged if you don't then the gas valve is suspect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I have gas coming out of the valve with the tubing removed. I tried blowing out the tubing with an air compressor but it is still clogged. The pilot burner is welded to one of the gas burner tubes. I just need to know how to remove the tube so I can either unclog it or replace it.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The pilot burner is usually just bolted (small machine screws) to a bracket on the burner. Probably easiest to just remove the burner tube it's attached to. The burner tube should just slide off the orifice on the manifold (it may have a small U shaped clip holding it in place). Once you have it out disconnect the tubing at the base of the pilot burner. The orifice is a small thimble shaped object. It may come out on the end of the tubing or it may stay in the pilot assembly. It has a very small hole (~0.01") that you have to pass a fine wire through to clean it out. You need to do this even if you can see daylight through the hole. Take care to not enlarge the hole.