Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I just purchased an old Jotul 118. It has a 5" stovepipe. I

Customer Question

I just purchased an old Jotul 118. It has a 5" stovepipe. I am installing it in a room that has a concrete floor/foundation with masonry walls and I don't know if its ok to vent through the masonry walls instead of the roof which is wood/combustible. I think I can still get 15' of stovepipe if venting out the wall.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It will draft much better if you go up through the roof. You can get a spacer/roof flange to keep it away from the wood. You can also vent it through the wall then go up the sidewall to above the roof but it will take much longer for the flue to heat up in cold weather and it's the heat rising in the flue that creates the draft.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Also, whatever way you go the flue must terminate at least 2' above anything within 10' measured horizontally