Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My old furnace ignitor clicks repeatedly without lighting

Customer Question

My old bryant furnace ignitor clicks repeatedly without lighting the pilot. There is a repeated spark, but no other activity with furnace (no fan, no other flame). I intend to replace the ignitor. Any thoughts?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you're generating a spark then the igniter is working. You need to check if you have 24 volts to the gas valve while the igniter is sparking. If you don't then the board is suspect. If you do have 24 volts then you need to check if you have gas to the pilot (assuming this unit has a pilot) by disconnecting the tubing to the pilot where it connects to the gas valve. If you have gas then the pilot orifice is likely blocked and you need to remove it and pass a very fine wire through the orifice hole(the hole is ~0.01") to clean it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How/where do I check whether I have 24 volts going to the gas valve? (This is an electronic pilot)
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You have to probe the leads to the gas valve. The typical terminal designation is PV, MV & MV/PV or C (common) P & M. You should have 24v to PV & MV/PV or P & C while the pilot is arcing