Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I'm trying to light my natural gas furnace 1st time this

Customer Question

I'm trying to light my natural gas furnace for the 1st time this season. The unit is a new 2014 Goodman model GMH80803BNBB installed last April. I've followed the furnace start up instructions repeatily, but have not been able to ignite the burner. I've purged the gas line, replaced the air filter, checked all electrical connections, etc. There is also no error code flashing from the led display to indicate a problem. The thermostat is working correctly, the fan is circulating air, outside unit is running. Seems to me that the internal gas valve ( Honeywell vr9205) is not allowing gas to pass through to the gas manifold. I disconnected the gas supply from the valve and checked for an obstruction, but didn't find anything. Also, when I turn on the external gas shut off valve, there is no gas exscaping through the valve that I can hear or smell. Thanks for the help.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** will be my pleasure to assist you. When you turn the furnace on and up for heat at the thermostat does the inducer fan start? this is the small motor attached to the exhaust pipe on the top of the furnace.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

the light on the board is solid red?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see anything through the peep hole. No error codes at all.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

there should be an led. that is on solid. Take the lower blower door off and use an unbent paperclip bent in a " U " shape to jump the R and W terminals of the board. you will have to hold the door switch in while doing this use a piece of tape to tape the door switch down so it is held down while jumping the terminals of the board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That worked! I didn't bypass the thermostat did I? The unit fired even though the thermostat was set cooler than the room temp.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

ok then you may have an issue with the thermostat. try putting the blower door back on and remove the tape. use the unbent paper clip and jump the same terminals at the thermostat. you will need to pull the thermostat off the wall plate to expose the wire connections of the thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thermostat has an R and W2 terminal. Same thing?
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

there is no W1 with a white wire connected to it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no W1 and the white wire isn't connected to any available terminal. Thermostat is a white Rogers 1f89-211.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

is the white wire connected to w1 in the furnace?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thermostat isn't sending a signal to the furnace to shut off.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

right that is what I am thinking that the thermostat is not turning the furnace on.

Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

this is a gas furnace do you know if the outside unit is a heat pump or not?

Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

is the thermostat set on heat or emerg.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
White wire isn't connected at thermostat or furnace.
Set on heat
Outside heat pump
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

to get the furnace to fire you will need to set the thermostat on emerg. and turn the heat up. there will be a few minute delay but the inside furnace should come on with the thermostat set to emerg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it stay on emergency?
Will the thermostat regulate the temp from that setting?
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

if you are trying to run the furnace it will need to stay in emerg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't need to jump terminals in the thermostat right?
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

no the thermostat should work with it set to emerg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The room temp is climimg higher that the set temp on the thermostat.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

is the furnace running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

there seems to be an issue with the thermostat. you disconnected the jumper in the furnace right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It's still connected. If I disconect it, aren't we back to square one?
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

no disconnect the jumper and leave the furnace set to emerg. and the furnace should cycle from the thermostat.

Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

the thermostat set to emerg. I mean

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thermostat seems to be working correctly set on emergency. Are there any negative effects to leaving it that way. Do you think I need to schedule a service tech?
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

no the only thing that will happen is the furnace will run instead of the heat pump. the heat pump will only work above a certain degree outside air temperature. A new thermostat that will automatically switch over to emergency when the outside air temperature is to low for the heat pump would be the desirable solution to the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks for the help. Any suggestions on how to get a 2 year old to go to bed?
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 year ago.

lol... those days are why past me my first one slept in our bed till 5 years old. you are very welcome. good luck with the 2 year old. good night!