Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Air Handler question:'rusting process" my is it fair to say

Customer Question

Air Handler question:'rusting process" my is it fair to say if it leaks & i have a tech to find & fix by brazing i suppose that due to humidity in the attic VA (summers) that's its just a matter of time before another leak shows up.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely if coil is over 7years old leaks are common due to the combination of metals,chemicals and the evaporator staying wet in ac mode.If you repair a leak, that will become the strongest point in coil and another leak will probably develop .The only exception would be that id existing leak was caused by something vibrating and rubbing a hole in tubing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok airheatman will these newer aluminum a frames have a longer life ?i am contemplating a fix vs replace hair handler thanks your help AGAIN.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The aluminum is supposed to hold up longer as we only have one metal .With the coils with copper tubing, there are 3 metals to deal with, copper tubes, aluminum fins and steel frame.With the new coils, everything is aluminum.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Also the aluminum used today is much thicker due to higher operating pressures of the new refrigerants.Many manufacturers like Goodman make coils that can be used with either R22 or the new R410 so if you replace coil now, you can still use it if you upgrade outdoor unit later.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.