Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My oil heat won't turn on. I turn the thermostat to heat and

Customer Question

Hello my oil heat won't turn on. I turn the thermostat to heat and auto and nothing happens. This is the first time using it since last year. I have tried the reset button on the oil burner and motor it did nothing
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Do you have batteries in the thermostat? Or can you get at the thermostat wires to manually connect the wires to make sure this is juts not a thermostat issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the thermostat is working fine the AC works and so does the fan if I turn it to on. I can hear a very small hum coming from the oil burner when turned on. I tried both reset buttons but they did nothing
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Did you run out of oil and does it even try to start up at all or nothing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No did not run out of oil had some left and just filled tank a day ago. It doesn't try to start up. When I turn it to heat it does nothing
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK can you see a red reset button on the motor some have a reset button on the motor as it may be off on the overload. Can you check that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is there it has not been popped and is already pushed in
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Can you see if you have power to the motor at the black and white wires? If you do not then this could be a control issue or bad reset on the unit. Do you have a meter? Also can you manually jumper the RED to the White at the Honeywell control box on the unit to make sure there is a call for heat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a meter. You mean take the red wire off and hold it to the white wire screw?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

YOu need to jumper the red to the white....or I should say the terminals there is what you need to jumper connect....not just taking a wire off and touching it to the other you need to touch across the two to see if it will try and start.