airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

My name is ***** ***** My issue is regarding Goodman Furnace

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** My issue is regarding Goodman Furnace gsm8
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the furnace wont start flames
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pilot lights for maybe 3 to 4 seconds before going back out. It lights for 3 tries and then the furnace shuts off...I never get a chance to see blue flames only orange light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Goodman Funrace MODEL: CAPF313C6DB GMS8I have tried resetting with circuit breaker and all the basics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Let me ask a few questions.

1.Is this a new installation or did everything used to work fine?

2.Do you have a volt meter for troubleshooting?

3.Do you hear the gas valve click when igniter lights?

4.Is there a flashing green light on furnace control board in blower compartment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1)It was installed a year ago and worked fine2) no3) yes4) Dont know where control board is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I need to clean flame sensor I will be away to get steel wool from local store in about 15 minutes
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

if you are hearing the gas valve click, the issue is most likely a gas pressure problem. Make sure gas cock is turned IN line with gas pipe and switch on gas valve is on position.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Flame sensor does not come into play until you have a flame for it to sense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked both of those they are both in the correct position..Im not sure if Im hearing clicking I do know that the fan turns on and that i see the light orange fire but never a blue flame
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK if we are not getting ignition, there is a light in blower compartment on board that should be blinking.Count the number of flashes between pausing and that will point us in direction to troubleshoot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is that located?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Control board will be mounted to blower housing in blower compartment,Should be a small window too look in so you don't have to remove the panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No blinking anywhere sir
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the area you were talking about
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK do you see the light and if so is it on solid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see no light through the small window...Only light I see is the orange light from the igniter
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK do this. Remove the bottom panel. Then hold or tape the door switch hat panel was holding in and lets locate the light on board.If furnace as power(which we know it does) the light will be either solid or flashing)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I turn the furnace off before moving panel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the bottom panel and there is no light on or flashing weird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see where the little red light bulb is located but no light is coming from it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the door switch hat panel?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Light does not come on if you push the door switch button IN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
light comes on!
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK keep door switch held or taped down and call for heat at thermostat.If burners do not light, the little light should blink giving us a code such as 2 blink pause or three blink pause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I have both doors open should I put the top panel back on as I try this method?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Both doors can stay off right now but door switch has to be in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried it I was in the basement holding the door switch button while my girlfriend was calling for heat with thermostat upstairs....I saw only 1 burner that was lit and no flashing lights
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK if only one burner lit, you may may have low gas pressure or burners need to be removed and cleaned.THe gas has to go from one burner to the next through little feeder tubes on burners.If all burners do not light, the flame sensor does not sense flame as it is in front of last burner to light.I would start by cleaning burners.See below:

http://i.imgur.com/XfVCkHs.png

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I find out if im getting low gas pressure? This is a fairly new furnace I doubt if the burners need to be removed and cleaned.. I could be wrong but Im no expert here and never cleaned burners before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is cleaning burners something I could do?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Follow instructions in link I sent.

8c7c6aa6-9c18-4d20-9fb1-559c2da4a749_Goodman burneer cleaning.png

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Try this link

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think this will fix my problem?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If it does not, we have a gas pressure issue.Either not enough pressure into valve or out of valve.Do you have any other gas appliances and if so are they working properly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a gas stove and its working perfectly fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about the thermostat could it be that as well? The furnace is less than a year old brand new I just dont believe its the burners
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Thermostat would not be the issue as we would not even get the one burner.If burners are clean, I would have the gas vale checked.You can do this yourself ,but would need a manometer or gas pressure gauge to do s. Valve has a fitting on inlet and outlet side to do this.WE should have 5 to 7 inches water column in and 3.5" out.Gas valve diaphragm could not be opening all the way allowing enough pressure out of valve to light all burners.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how how much pressure is I'm looking for? What im trying to see how much pressure is normal standard for gas pressure from furnace?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

We should have 5 to 7 inches water column in and 3.5" out.Gas valve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok going to go to store and buy pressure gauge email you back a little later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now lets say I'm not getting enough pressure? is there any way I can open the pressure up? I have the white rodgers
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Make sue to get a gauge designed to read gas pressure (Water column) not psig like you would use to check air pressure.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/TestEquipment/GasAnalyzers-Kits/SeriesLPTK/Ordering?gclid=CjwKEAjwho2xBRD0mpzUvsya6SgSJAAkRepSFINUDpLQALpqy8duAqcPP6bzo2z1w4MBHdULW5k6ZxoCWevw_wcB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok cool, one last question before I go get gauge...Should I have the furnace running while I check the pressure of the gas valve? Also I had my DTE come out and check my gas and its enough pressure coming into the furnace I was told just fyi
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

You will want to check the pressure as son as the igniter lights when that one burner lights.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

We will go from here