Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Dovre dv400 gas stove (and a newbie to this

Customer Question

I have a Dovre dv400 gas stove (and a newbie to this appliance). We purchased this home with the stove installed. It has been off for the season and I fired it up this morning. All seemed well: the pilot lit as expected and the stove lit and burned as well, with blue bottom and yellow top flames. The blower attachment activated as expected, too. However, after about two hours of operation, the main flames went out. The pilot light stayed lit, though. Being unfamiliar with the stove, I immediately tuned the pilot off and closed the main gas valve to shut the stove down. I can't find anything in the manual about this behavior, either. Is this normal?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Could be a problem with the thermopile (the flame sensor in the pilot flame) or possibly a venting issue. First check the vent for obstructions. One of the possible problems with the thermopile is that a stray flame (not the pilot) is getting too close and overheating the bottom of the sensor. Since this device generates all the power to operate the gas valve (< 1 volt) if it over heats it will kill the power. If the vent looks good do you have a digital multi-meter that can read mili volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** waiting for your response, I relit the pilot and hit the on switch. Nothing happened. The pilot stayed lit, though. No gas was heard or smelled. I toggled the on/off switch several times with the same result; no flames. I checked the wiring from the control box to the on/off switch and all seemed good. With the switch in the on position, however, I snugged the wiring into the switch and presto! The stove lit. I have tightened the wire connection into the switch and the stoveseems to be running fine. Could there still be a thermocouple issue I should be on the lookout for?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It's a thermopile. A thermocouple is used on a 24 volt system. This is a millivolt system with all the power generated by the thermopile. Since the voltage is so low (< 1 volt) any iffy connects will be very problematic. If you continue to have problems with it shutting down for no reason then you need to check the voltage output from the thermopile or see if any stray flames from the main burner are impinging on the thermopile.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that's good to know. I don't see anything strange with regards ***** ***** flames near the thermopile (and it's been running just fine since I sent that last message). The vent seems to be just fine, by the way, as well. I will have our plumber check the out the thermopile when he comes later this month, so thanks for helping to pinpoint that.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Id appreciate a favorable rating