Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Weil McLain EG boiler the pilot is lit but it will

Customer Question

Hi Tom I have a Weil McLain EG boiler the pilot is lit but it will not fire
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

Is this a hot water or steam system? do you have a standing pilot (lit all the time) or electronic ignition? do you have a vent damper? if so is it open?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steam system,standing pilot,yes I have a vent damper it is currently closed
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you have a call for heat and the damper doesn't open then nothing else will happen. But I'm not finding an EG with a damper and standing pilot. Actually the only EG's I can find with a damper are EGH. Can you give me a couple pics? one showing the damper and another showing inside the burner compartment a 3rd showing the LWCO and other controls would also help
You can post a picture here by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of this dialogue box. You can only post from a PC or a Mac not a phone or a tablet. If that doesn’t work for you then you can upload a pic to a file sharing service like Google pics or Dropbox. Then post the “share” link to your picture here or you can email the pic to customer service but the last option can take quite a while to get to me. Click on the CONTACT US link to contact customer service. http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are the pictures
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, odd that I can't find a wiring diagram for this yet. I assume the water level is up. Try this, jump the thermostat leads where they connect to the boiler. Maybe that will get the damper to open. Let me know if anything changes. In the mean time I'll keep looking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure how to do this can you give me some direction
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You have to trace the wire from the thermostat to where it connects to the boiler. Should be 2 wires. You need to connect the 2 wires or terminals together where the thermostat wire connects. I think I see it in the last pic you posted. The brown cable with 2 wires from it connected to the boiler wiring. But I can't be sure where it goes from your picture

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I found the wiring diagram. There's also a switch sensor below where the vent damper is on the side of the sheet metal box that's open on the bottom. It has 2 wires connected and a small button in the middle of the 2 wires. Try pushing that button. If it clicks then you have reset it and the damper will open and the burner fire up with any luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no sure which wire
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Try pressing the reset button I just described above first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this the button pressed it but nothing happened the little button doesn't even depress
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Worth taking a shot. It will only click if it was tripped. Back to the thermostat wire. The wire with the brown outer sheath and looks like 2 smaller wires inside it connected. Are there only 2 wires from that cable? are they connected to 2 black wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 wires in side the brown wire
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I didn't ask that. I asked how many were connected and if they connect to black wires

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Three wires inside the brown wire and 2 are connected to black wires
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

OK, turn the power off to the unit then take the wire nuts off of those 2 wires and connect them together (including the black wires). Then turn the power back on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that nothing happened
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Then you've done all you can. You're going to have to call in a pro.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for the help
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome