Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician
Experience:  hvac technichian at performance plumbing and heating
89712187

I have a Goodman furnace GDS80904BXBA. I had it installed

Customer Question

I have a Goodman furnace GDS80904BXBA. I had it installed about 7 years ago every year I have nothing but problems with it. Every year they replace the board on it and multiple other parts. It tries to run but then stops the light is blinking once (system lockout) I always have the same problem no one has ever totally fixed this problem. They change parts get it going then leave and it starts doing it again. Any suggestions.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.

hi, I am dan, I can help you with this but I will warn you now this is going to be a long process to go through this but we will get to the bottom of it. first I would need a better description of what has been done recently and what pats have been replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This year nothing has been done yet. I just started using the furnace a couple days ago. End of last winter the board was replaced again.

ok, when it stops working does it always give the same flash code, 1 flash? do you have the full description of that code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is always the same System Lockout (retries/recycles exceeded)

ok next I will need some pictures of the furnace in order to see everything that is going on with it. first one picture of the front f the furnace preferably with the panels off and one of the side of the furnace where the electrical and gas go in. if you could get that and post them here that will be a big help.

instructions for posting pictures

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you that helps a lot. now I see a few problems with the install but your main problem I see is the furnace is not grounded properly. how far away is the electrical panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 25 ft it is in out in the garage

ok do you have any electrical knowledge to open boxes and check wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a little

ok great first turn the circuit breaker off for the furnace pull out the switch on the side of the furnace to look inside the box, and then open that little box on the inside of the furnace behind the switch and if you can take a pic of those too that would help to see how it is grounded.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok that is great. it appears to be grounded ok. I would prefer that ground wire to attach to the ground wire in the furnace but for now we will let that go. are you able to test gas pressure with a manometer, also what other appliances do you have that run on gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I cannot and the only other gas appliance is the water heater

ok that is fine, next I would like to make sure the venting is proper. does it go straight through the roof or in a chimney?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
straight through the roof

ok, if you could get one more pic of the vent outside on the roof that will allow me to see if that is proper

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
outside vent

ok, that is great, thank you, ***** ***** looks proper a few things I would recommend now. first the ground wire in the switch bow should e attaché to the green ground wire in the furnace. next that pressure switch hanging in the inside of the furnace should be secure so it is not flopping around.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok

after that if the problem happens again I would recommend a technichian to come diagnose it and have them verify proper inlet gas pressure with it running and proper manifold pressure, and verify proper inducer pressure. the inlet gas pressure should be a minimum of 5"wc with the furnace and water heater running. the manifold pressure should be 3.5"wc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have fixed those recommendations and it still does the same thing.

also you can try cleaning the flame sensor with a little piece of sand paper. it is the little rod on the left side of the burners with the red wire coming off it. remove the screw pull it out and clean it with a piece of sand paper lightly until clean

Is it still having the same problem? if so we can check a few more things?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is

Do all of the burners have a flame when it comes on or do thy light at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They don't light at all

Ok, does the ignitor on the right side of the burners glow red when it try's to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There should be a switch on the gas valve can you verify that it is on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the furnace came on twice yesterday but will not come on again since then

Ok, do you have access to an electrical multimeter to test some parts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did check all those things last winter

Ok, i am sorry but in order to get to the bottom of this it will require further testing with meters. You may need a tech to come diagnose it. One theory i has is there may be some debris in the gas line that may be restricting the gas flow. This is commonly overlooked by techs. Testing the gas pressure will verify this. We also need to test power. I will try to help you the best i can. Feel free to contact me with a tech present and i can tell him exactly what to test to solve this once and for all

Also another thought make sure there is nothing inside the burners like spider webs or bugs