Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have an issue with my furnace - Corsaire by Rheem Model

Customer Question

Customer: Dave - I have an issue with my furnace - Corsaire by Rheem Model FGPJ-07EAUER
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, when the thermostat is turned up, the furnace (which is fueled by natural gas) begins its cycle. It excavates the existing gasses, the heating element starts, the gas is let in, and the burner ignites. When it calls for the blower to start - the blower does not start. I do hear a click from the little sensor on the blower housing - or from the printed circuit controller board.
Is there a sensor that should be replaced? What is the sensor on the bottom of the housing?
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to HVAC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, I will wait - thank you.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. Thanks for your business! I see you have waited a bit. Sometimes this happens if one of us is not able to help.

To me, this issue sounds like a bad control board. However I would need some additional testing done by you to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What additional testing would you like me to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have auxiliary heating - and I have work, etc., so I may not be able to respond quickly, but I will get the messages and respond. Thank you.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I need you to obtain a voltmeter, set to volts AC and check for voltage to the blower when in heating mode. Usually this will be tested at the board across the red lead (probably on a terminal marked "heat") to a white neutral. We should read 120 volts AC after the burners have been on a while.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim,
I checked the voltage. I connected the hot wire to the post that said 'Fan' (had a red wire on it) and the black to the white wires towards the bottom right (they are labeled commons - there were 3 of them). I got no voltage. The furnace started, the burner kicked on and then I heard the clicking which usually indicates that the blower will begin.I kept the wires attached while I checked the for voltage. Is there anything else to check?Dave
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have voltmeter set to "volts AC"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was set to volts ac - and I checked it in an outlet to be sure it registered - I got 122 volts in the outlet.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

If no voltage when blower should come on, replace the board.