HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Good man furnace. Igniter element glows bright, but burners

Customer Question

Good man furnace. Igniter element glows bright, but burners never kick on. Just keeps recycling and trying but nothing changes.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Do you have the front cover switch taped down and if so check and make sure that switch is good as that will cause the unit not to send power to the main gas valve. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Switch is operating fine.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK is there two GRAY wires to that switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two black
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK what color wires are going to the gas valve and can you check if the valve is getting power 24 volts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One gray. One brown. I will check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Damn. Voltmeter is dead and have no 9 volt bats. Maybe I can take it out of the smoke detector
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Ok that gray wire should go to a switch follow it and that may be the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gray wire doesn't go to a switch. It goes to pressure valve
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yes the pressure switch correct....that has to close in order for the gas valve to operate. That may be the issue here.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I test the brown or the gray for power?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

You can or jumper the two gray wires to the pressure switch together to bypass it and try it to see if the pressure switch is the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok please hold
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am here, I have other people I am dealing with as well just let me know when you tried it