Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Weil-McLain wm97+ running on propane. Needed to add

Customer Question

I have a Weil-McLain wm97+ running on propane.
Needed to add a 2nd (Taco 0010-F3 Single Phase Circulating Pump 00 Series) circulator for 2nd floor. Water was not traveling up stairs efficiently.
Just some input - The Contractor that installed the heater (converted the house from hot air to baseboard) initially didn't do very good job at routing the pipes correctly. Myself with the assistance of a plumber corrected the piping issues & then found the issues with not getting water to second floor.
Do I need to add the second unit as a 2nd zone with zone valve or can it be set up to run on one zone along with the other external TACO circulator (same Model).
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I'm not clear on your issue. What do you have for zone control now? 2 zone valves? 2 pumps? what is the pressure on the system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm using the zone control on the unit (wm97+) no zone valves as of yet. Pressure avg was 18-20 pds. REally was hoping to just add a 2nd circulator for the additional help to get to 2nd floor if possible.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

So you have 1 pump now? what's the pressure on the system? how many thermostats do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, one pump now runs 18-20 pds on avg with one thermostat

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you should have enough pressure to get the water up to the second floor but you'll have no control over the radiation on that floor. Did you purge that loop? if so how did you purge that loop? If you want control over that specific floor you'll have to add another pump. Is that what you want? do you have a separate dedicated loop for the second floor?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you want to know how to pipe the second pump I'll need pics of the piping around the boiler.
I'm taking a break I'll be back in about an hour.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you say purge that loop please explain further? Sorry. Added the pump at the supply line in basement at the pipe going to second floor. My understanding that running the 2nd circulator would be controlled by the 1 st floor thermostat which is fine by me. I have do have a additional zone valve & thermostat but unsure of what would be necessary for the plumbing? Would I need to install a manifold & separate feed line then?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, first your piping is too small. You need to run 1" to a 1 x 3/4 x 3/4 tee on the supply and return with each 3/4 branch going to each zone. You mount 1 pump on each 3/4" supply branch then down stream of the pump you install a flow check (see pic attached) you don't use zone valves with multiple pumps). On each of the 3/4 returns you install a purge station which consists of a ball valve & a hose drain/faucet. To purge the system you shut off the ball valve an open the drain (with a hose attached). You also need to put the feed valve on bypass to fast fill while the hose is open so you keep the pressure up above 10 psi but below 30 psi. The feeder should connect to the piping on the boiler side of the ball valve. Do you have the boiler manual?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to the MANUAL

There's a useful piping diagram for your situation on page 49
Pages 65 & 66 show the line and low voltage wiring