Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Phil. I bought a vacant cmu building in a residential

Customer Question

Hi Phil. I bought a vacant cmu building in a residential neighborhood and am converting it to a sfh. I have 3800 ft2 to heat and cool. No gas, no water and no electicity present. Blank slate. Would you consider heating and cooling exclusively with mini split units?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.
Where is the building located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rick. Zip is 20743. State of MD
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you can't heat a residence in MD solely with mini-split units. The temps drop too low in the Winter for the heat pump function to work. Heat pumps are not effective when temps drop below freezing. You'll need a back up heat source. So if you don't want to get into air handlers or a furnace about your only option would be electric baseboard heat as a back up for really cold Winter temps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Friends have supplied the same advice so I see I will have to request service form the gas company. They want to know what my total btu/hr input is expected to be. I figure 40,000 for the Water heater, 70,000 for a gas range and 100 - 120,000 btu for a total of 230,000 btu/hr input.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

That's a pretty safe bet for sizing the meter and gas service. The heat allowance may be a bit high but there's no way to know for sure unless a heat loss analysis is done.