Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a three family house, one of the furnances ( of

Customer Question

I have a three family house, one of the furnances ( of three) is not working, I had it replaces with an 80% efficienany one. The first winter it started to leak water from the flute pipe that leads into the chimmeny. A furnannce guy told me I need a chimmeny
liner. The chimmeny feeds one other furance and two hot water tanks. My old furance that I replaced never leaked water, I don't understand why the new one does. There is moisture and condensation building up in the chimmeny. The house was built in 1911.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Newer higher efficiency furnace take more heat out of the exhaust so the water vapor in the exhaust can condense inside the chimney if it's not sized properly. Your furnace guy is right. It sounds like you need a chimney liner.