Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Hot Dawg model HD60AH0134 Garage heater that will

Customer Question

hi, I have a Hot Dawg model HD60AH0134 Garage heater that will not ignite. I replaced the hot surface ignitor but it would light once in a while, but now its not igniting at all. The fans keep running and I can hear the valve open and hear the flow of gas for a second but then the valve closes when it wont ignite. I think the control valve is not making a good contact to power the hot surface ignitor. Would the control board have any direct control of the ignitor, or is that controlled by the control valve?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Does the igniter glow after the fan gets up to speed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The igniter does not glow when it fails to start. When I would observe the cycle after I changed out the igniter, I couple of times it did glow and did light the gas. I continued to watch and when the heater started failing to start again, I would kill power to reset the lock out code, and watch the unit try to cycle again. A couple of times I noticed that the igniter would begin to glow but then would like flicker on and off then go cold as the gas would come on, and fail to ignite. Several more times cycling the unit and the igniter failed to glow. I could hear the relay click inside the control valve but the igniter failed to glow. My impression is that the contacts inside the control valve are not making a good contact. Is there anything else that might prevent the igniter from getting power?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Since you replaced the ignitor what you're describing to me sounds like a bad control board or a bad connection between the board and the ignitor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The igniter connects to the control valve, and seems to be controlled by a relay within that valve housing. Is the relay contract in the control valve?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Looks like your model uses a Honeywell Smart Valve. The same answer applies, either a bad connection or a bad control (valve)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks. I have already ordered the control board and the control valve also. It was cheaper then buying a new heater, so hopefully this will help me get many more years out of it. I suspect the valve.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.