How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phil Your Own Question
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 7825
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
Phil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a burner lockout code 9176

Customer Question

I have a burner lockout code 9176
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, is this a new installation, or a replacement valve.

If you can draw a diagram of the piping for me and take a picture of it and send it to me using the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar... and include a picture of the piping taken from about 15 feet away so that I can see all of the piping, I can look it over for you.

It is easy to get the mixing valves piped incorrectly, or in bacwards.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forget it Phil this boiler has been in use for 5 years.
I just installed the mixer valve today, I think it just has to keep cycling untill it goes on.I don.t need an answer ,don't charge me.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, I am just a customer of the web site as you are except I am on the expert side, I have nothing to do with billing, use the 'report question' link to request no billing, that should work. Good luck with it... you are free to post back any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the mixing vavle is installed correctly, the lockout code is b 04. I know there is a jumper I could use but I don't remember which terminals to jump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the mixer valve is installed correctly, the lock out code is b 04, i know I can use a jumper on the low voltage side but I can't remember the terminal numbers.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

A few different model numbers came out on that boiler over the years, Here is the trouble shooting manual I have however, tell me if it looks like your unit or not. Error codes start on page 12. Your 9176 code is not shown, if you can give me the full model number of the boiler I might be able to pull that manual.

http://www.triangletube.com/documents/33/Prestige%20SOLO%20Troubleshooting%20Guide.pdf

-----------------

Here is a note about myself:

I am 74 years old, I owned my own mechanical contracting company from 1970 to 1985, P Scott, Contract Services in Los Angeles, with 27 employees at peak. We did industrial systems design build projects for several aerospace firms such as Northrup Aircraft, General Dynamics and Standard oil among others.

I sold the company and began consulting nationally in 1985, clients included several fortune 500 companies, IBM, Texas instruments. Borden foods and many others, my specialty is trouble shooting problem projects.

What I found in myself and others, in all cases where there is a problem, is that I had made a mistake even though I was 100% dead sure that I was right and had made no mistakes.

In actual fact I had made a mistake or overlooked something. I have found that to be true with every project that I had been called in to sort out someone had overlooked something. Once I get a look at the job I can normally spot the error in fairly short order.

If this boiler worked properly before you did fit the mixing valve, but is not operating now, there is an error of sorts. Maybe not where you think it is, the job might be piped correctly but merely be vapor locked because air got in the system and was not vented out etc. That is most likely the case here, since the boiler operated properly before you installed the mixing valve.

Regarding the error codes... they are very useful in about 50% of the cases, the other 50% of the time one error code can be entirely bogus.... or cover many different possibilities, I suspect that the error code here is a high temperature limit cut out, or insufficient water flow error....probably air in the system, trapped in a radiator, or inverted U shape in the piping. That is why I asked for a few photo's.

Let me know what you can do, we can go from there on my own time and expense, without any time limits unless you choose to rate my input positively. In that case the company pays me enough for a cup of coffee and a sandwich at Starbucks. and that's fine, I am retired now. I do this to say active and help where I can.

The more data you can give me the better and faster work I can do for you. I need the model number of the boiler, and I need to know where the error code showed up, photo's will speed things immensely. along with a sketch of the system.

Or you can tell me a bit about what sort of air bleed measures you have taken and the type of radiators you have, under floor pex tube or standing radiators etc... I can very often get a system debugged in seconds that way, The chances that this is a water flow problem are in the 99% range, the chances that there is an air lock causing it are in the 90% range, and the chances that the manufacturer of the valve gave vague piping instructions or that you missed a dust plug that was fit too deep into the valve to be seen cover the other 10% of possibilities.