BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a carrier model number 38BRC048370 The air inside was

Customer Question

I have a carrier model number 38BRC048370
The air inside was blowing warm
I found that the compressor unit was not running and the one leg of the split 40/40 breaker had popped . I turned thermostat off and
I reset the breaker , the turned therm back on . I heard a buzzing at the compressor unit but the unit didn't start and then the same breaker leg popped. Last time something similar occurred the tech fixed it by changing something to do with the starter for the compressor. ... Thinking it might be a similar problem I reset breakers and therm and had my wife turn the unit on while I stood at the comp unit and manually push started the fan. This time everything started smoothly the fan got to full speed for about a minute then the breaker popped again
.
Over the phone without even an on site inspection the service tech said I needed to replace the entire unit !!
Does that make sense ? Could it be the same type of starter problem or just a weak breaker ? Or something el
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like a capacitor. This helps start the compressor and fan. If push starting the fan helped the fan motor...this means the capacitor is bad.

Much better to try this $40 fix first before thinking about new.

Billy