Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a older furnace a Moncrief model sh-100-d. I am

Customer Question

I have a older furnace a Moncrief model sh-100-d. I am assuming the blower went out as it is coming on heating up then shutting down. Wonder if blower or moter can be fixed as I really don't want to invest in new furnace right now. I know it is exactly the same age as my Mother's house 51 but this is actually the first time it has ever broken down
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, it can certainly be fixed, but the furnace's heat exchanger should be examined to be sure that the heat exchanger is not cracked or corroded and leaking carbon monoxide into the home.

You should buy two carbon monoxide gas detectors and put one your bedroom area and one in the kitchen living room area.

If the furnace is not producing carbon monoxide a new blower motor can be had by taking the old one to Grainger Industrial supply and asking them for a match up. then install it.. It will not be an overly difficult task.

..............

Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I am off to bed now, and will pick up your response first thing in the morning.