Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My electric radiant heated bathroom floors emitted burning

Customer Question

my electric radiant heated bathroom floors emitted burning rubber odor, electrician could not find issue so replaced thermostat, it still has odor….what could that possibly be…….the remodeling took place 2 years ago and i have not had this problem before, HELP
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, that is a very dangerous situation, disconnect the floor heater wiring right away.

If the shorted wiring is not in the under floor heating elements themselves, then it is generally repairable... that would be where the wiring comes out from under the floor. If the electrical short in inside the floor heating elements there is a significant risk that it could set the house on fire.

A well experienced electrician would be able to determine the cause, it sounds like the one that came out was lazy and also willing to put your life at risk, unless he indeed found burn wiring at the thermostat he changed. In that case the burnt rubber smell would be residual and harmless.

.................

Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges.

If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

I work here on my own time and expense, and am only paid if you ratemy work.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges.