airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a intertherm Furnace Model E1EH 015HA. During the

Customer Question

Hello, I have a intertherm Furnace Model E1EH 015HA. During the 2014 winter the heating elements quit working. I decided to do replace the limit switches, the relay, and the fan relay to see if it would fix the problem and Now I ended up with a bigger problem. As soon as I flip the breaker back to on position the heating elements start instantly. Even when the thermostat is on the off position. It seems to me like I may have crossed some wires. I was very careful not to do that, I replaced components one at a time and switched cable by cable carefully on to the new component. I need help resolving this problem, I would really appreciate it.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, please attach a clear, well lit, well focused photo of the furnace wiring diagram here, and a few photo's of the actual wiring you worked on, taken at different angles and from at least 24 inches away, so that I can see whats going on.

Use the paper clip icon above, or the +attach files link to the right of the send button.

I will mark those up with test instructions.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I hope this helps. I had to disconnect the breakers so that i could take the picture.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

http://screencast.com/t/gfjXwSslUa

http://screencast.com/t/uyGVGlExbXF

So far it sounds like you have made a wiring error, probably because of the complexity of the parts you installed and often vague terminal markings. Sorting that out will not be easy in most cases.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Just got home from work and did what you asked. Still comes on instantly. and it reads 240v
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, in that case the odds that I will be able to help you effectively on line hear are slight. Hold your rating and I will opt out so that other experts here can take a look at this situation.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a volt meter for troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Excellent. Now look at the very bottom of the sequencers and tell me what color wires you have going to the COILS on sequencer.I am showing on diagram that we should have a white to one a blue to one and then the common black /white to the other side of both coils.Please verify

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Take a look. Let me know if you need me to take better pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black and white wire.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK with power ON and white disconnected from thermostat, check between blue and black/white for 24v and between white and black/white on each side of coil.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reads 14V.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Should not have anything. You did mean 14, not 24 though right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah. 14.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

14 still should not be enough to energize element.The coil should not pull in until it gets at least 24v.But just for fun remove the white and the blue (Tape or move so they don't touch anything) and see if element goes off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The elements come on with the blue and white disconnected.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK I am thinking the sequencer is stuck closed. Can you tell which or if all elements are coming on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The elements on top. The bottom elements don't get red.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK just so we know it is not a wiring issue, tell me for sure this is how it is wired.

Red from breaker to limit and then to element.

Black from breaker to sequencer terminal and then from sequencer terminal straight across to element.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK our problem is going to be the sequencer.It is stuck in "closed position) allowing voltage to the element at all times. You can pick one up a any local appliance parts store fro around 20 bucks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. I will go buy tomorrow morning. Is there anyway to disable the element so that I can run my A/C tonight?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely. Simply pull one of the wires (Either black from sequencer or red from breaker loose and tape it off with electrical tape. Turn breaker off first of course.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for letting me work with you.When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. There are three red wires comming out of the breakers. Should I pull all out or just one? When I pull one. The middle elements turn on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sequencer came apart when I tried to pull the wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so I am running into another problem now, the part that replaces the Blower Control Sequencer Switch part Number 621596 is replaced by a part that doesn't look the same. it doesn't have all the connectors to attach all the pigtails to the new sequencer, and the M1, M2, etc... are not numbered correctly. see the attached
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The fact that is came apart verifies it was definitely bad.

Now as for the replacement this is pretty simple.

I would go ahead and replace both of them.

JUst remember the sequencers are exactly what it says, bring elements on in sequence.

Note which wires go to the blower relay and the elements.

On the single relay, we are only feeding one element. So we will just move the wires from the old to the new in same location.

On the double stack,we want the blower relay and one element going to the top post and the other element going to the next post down.

Once you get new one, I will be happy to guide in connecting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so the replacement will work even if it doesn't look the same?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Yes.Just make sure it has a 24v coil and that you put wire that goes to fan relay on top post so blower is energized with first element.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So I have the sequencers and I am ready to install.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Can you send pic of new ones?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Excellent now a pic from side showing me M numbers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK so I am clear. on the double stack is 1/4 and 1/3 and on single stack is 6/5?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK numbering is a bit strange. WE are going to wire up and then turn on.We may have to change one wire at that point as we want to make sure blower does come on with first element OK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Lets start with the low voltage wires.

Put the small black ands white wires from old coils to new coils

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Next lets do the single stack.

From the breaker that fed the single stack on old one, put black from breaker to M6

Then the black from one heating element to M5

Then we have 2 blacks coming from other breaker.

Put then on M1 and M4

Then the 2 blacks to the other 2 elements to M3 and M5

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I am left with a yellow and a black. Yellow comes from the blower switch. And black from transformer
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK Yellow we want to first try on M5 (WE may move if blower doesn't come on with first element)

AS for the black to transformer we need to make sure it goes to the terminal supplied by same breaker as the other hot wire to tansformer.

From what I am seeing, it supplied by the breaker with2 elements. So that would be M1

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
M1 only has one prong. Do I need an adapter y prong?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you see the other power leg to transformer? My diagram shows it RED? IF so all we need to do is make sure that red and black get power at all times from same breaker (12ov each leg). Technically it could go directly to breaker

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I just connect it directly to tge breaker.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

THat is fie. Then we will power up and make sure no elements or blower come on. If not that is good, then call for heat and see if blower and first element come on together.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Elements not on just blower.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At first power up nothing came on. Then when I called for heat blower came on elements not comming on.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

No elements?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

But blower on before e call for anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blower came on after I switched the thermostat to heat.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK one element should also come on with blower, then second and then third.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the same issue I was having last winter. That's when I decided to replace the limit switches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But that's when the sequencer failed and I put the old limit switches back. Should I try the new ones?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed the new ones but same result. Elements are not comming on
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Lets see where we are losing voltage or id elements may be open.

Start with leads of meter at both screws on breaker.Then leave lead on red at breaker and move black to the line side of "M"terminals on sequencers,then on load side "M terminals and then on element terminal.Then move one lead to black on breaker, move red lead to limits and element .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Sorry for the long pause. I had to go out of town and just got back. I started testing. I get 240 from breaker to the sequencer but nothing comming out to element from sequencer.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Make sure thermostat is calling for heat and check 24v at the coil on bottom of sequencer

http://i.imgur.com/IpSSkEO.png

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No reading there.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK lets go to thermostat wires(just to make sure thermostat is not issue.). connect R and W together and see if we get 24v to sequencer coil.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So when I put those two wires together elementa came on. Right away. Do I have the wrong thermostat installed?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Possibly. Tell me what thermostat you have.It could be in a setting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hunter model 44277.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a heat pump connected to thi air handler?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a new unit installed a year ago.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok this is the issue, The thermostat is not designed to work with a heat pump with aux heat strips. On call for heat we only energize the heat pump. You ill need a two stage heat/single stage cool thermostat to bring the elements in.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

From manual

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that a rare thermostat. I don't see many choices... any suggestions on wich to get?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

No the 2 stage heat/single stage cool can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot beginning at about 35 bucks depending on how sophisticated you want to get such as programmable,touch screen all the way up to wi fi.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I am getting one tomorrow.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.Let me know how it goes.Also if you need any help setting up or wiring I am here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased a wifi model, that needs a "C" wire. am i going to be able to use this with my heat pump? the model is RTH6500WF.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Is there an unused wire in the bundle at thermostat maybe pushed back in wall ? If so we will need to connect it to C at thermostat and common in air handler. If not, you have a couple of choices. One is to run an extra wire and the other is to sacrifice the FAN ONLY feature .I will explain how to do that if you choose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check as soon as I get home. I believe there was a brown wire that was not connected and i pushed it back when I installed the wrong thermostat the (Hunter) model. I have never used the Fan Only feature, if we need to do that then no problem there.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you get home and we will go from here. By the way I think you will love the 6500

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I am home now. Can you help me wire the new thermostat please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No additional wire I only have r, y, w, o, and g.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok do you want to run an extra wire or sacrifice the Fan Only feature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For now, I will just sacrifice the fan only feature. I will run a new wire in the future.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK now do you know which wire in the furnace is the "common" low voltage wire?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

It should be going C in your outdoor heat pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I went to the unit outside and the blue cable is the common. Then where the air handler splices it is the green wire. So I am thinking the greeg wire labeled g is the common.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK what we want to do is disconnect the green wire from G at thermostat and where it currently goes to fan relay in air handler. Move it over to C at thermostat and connect it with the "Common" going outside at air handler. Then you will need to make a short jumper at thermostat from Y to G so blower is energized on call for heat or cool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I tell which wire is comming from the outside unit they both same color?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I looking at these two wires correctly?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for delay website would not load.Let me look at this clos;ey.It looks kike your green from thermostat may be going to the blue outside yes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tge common wire is blue from outside unit. What I can't tell is which wire is the one that comes from the outside unit and which goes to thermostat?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK I think you have them backwards Tell m if that gray is going to the fan relay.I think it is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The green wire connects to grey pigtail. And into fan relay.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK here is what we need to do.It will require a bit of work, but well be well worth it when we are done. I am going to have you disconnect wires at air handler and in outdoor unit and move a couple at thermostat. We are going to start fresh and get this all wired properly.

Now the set on the right in picture marked outdoor on the pic you sent are really from thermostat and ones on left marked thermostat really go outside.

I want you to wire everyting as explained below:

Blue from O at thermostat to Blue outside O

Red from RH/RC at thermostat to both red in air handler and red outside R

Yellow from Y at thermostat to gray in air handler and yellow to outdoor Y

White from W2 at thermostat to both white in air handler and white outside W

Green from C at thermostat to Black in air handler and Green going outside C

Go outside and wire as follows.

Blue to O

Red to R

Yellow to Y

White to W

Green to C

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Done. Now when I plug in the thermostat, the thermostat does not stay on
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have breaker on to furnace?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

And did you turn it off while doing the wiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a breaker at the furnance and it didn't cut off when I plugged in the thermostat
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Was it off while you were doing the wiring and if not did any wires spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did cut everything off when doing the wiring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned all the breakers off when doing the wiring. I have three different set of breakers. Turned all of the off. When I tuned them back on after doing the wiring the thermostat just cuts on and off continusly.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok so right now all breakers are on?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean cuts on and off.? The display on thermostat or the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All breakers are on.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thermostat.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Display?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the display
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok remove front of thermostat and put meter on the C and R and tell me if voltage is cutting in and out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
27.41
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is continuous. Stays at 27.41
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok we should have wiring right. Do you have a jumper or a pair of needle nose pliers handy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. It stopped doing that. Now the display stays on.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK have you gone through the setup menu to match thermostat to system

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If you have the new thermostat installed, go to setup menu and set as follows

Then you will need to go to the setup menu and set as follows

1=5

2=0

3=1

5=9

6=9

Any other functions are at your discretion.

If any functions listed do not show available, this means thermostat has setup based on a previous selection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just set it up just like you said. It skipped over 2 and 3.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok lets see if it will work

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wating for it to kick in. Nothing is happening.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Is heat or Cool either one flashing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The heat was flashing but nothing came on. No coils or fan. I just now set it to cool. Says cool on flashing but the air handler not comming on
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok the flashing is a five minute delay, We have to wait until Heat and Cool are on solid before anything will come on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok. Let me set it on heat then.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Standing by. Raise thermostat at least 5 or six degrees above room temp so heat pump and elements will both come on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still flashing heat on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No response from elements or fan
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Still flashing after 5 minutes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Hmm that is not normal. Lets do this though just to make sure wiring is all good. Take a jumper or a pair of needle nose and touch the following terminals together on thermostat.

R and Y- Blower and outdoor unit should come on

R and Aux/E /W2 - elements should come on

R and O/B = reversing valve in outdoor should swish

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just kicked in . Everything seems to be working now.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Did you try heat and cool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying cool right now
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Standing by

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Says cool on but still blowing hot air and the pipes at the A coil are hot
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok lets look again at settings. With 5 selected as function one we really should have a choice on function two. That is what determines when reversing valve is energized.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Number one under choices should it be 7? 2 heat stages/ 1 cooling?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

No 7 is not for a heat pump. the only two choices for a heat pump are 1 and 5. One being with no backup heat and 5 being with backup heat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Earlier I meant to say 3 and 5 are skipped after selecting 1 at option 2
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK you got 2 set to 0?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 set to 0 skips all the way to 6 as well
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK did you have 2 set to 0 earlier when warm AIR WAS BLOWING IN COOL MODE AND IF SO IS YOUR OUTDOOR UNIT A RHEEM OR Ruud?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Grandaire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah. It is set to 0 now and still blowing hot air on cool mode
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

And you have the blue wire on O/B at thermostat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

And can you verify blue is connected to O in outdoor unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK every Grandaire I have seen reverses in Cool mode, but just to be sure, lets try selecting 1 for function 2 and see if maybe yours reverses in heat like a Rheem/Ruud

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I just set it to 1 an it is still hot.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK it sounds like for some reason you are either not getting 24v to the reversing valve coil or the coil is not energizing valve. I am about to leave office for the night, but we can pick up here tomorrow if you would like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks. We will continue tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Look forward to continuing. First thing will do is go ahead and change function 2 back to O. Then look in outdoor unit and make sure reversing valve is plugged in. If so, turn thermostat to cool and unplug revering valve plug from solenoid., stick probes in connector and see if we are getting 24 volts at that solenoid.

http://i.imgur.com/IGVlpjT.png

http://i.imgur.com/Hk0QyCD.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. You think I may have a bad thermostat. Nothing comes on now. No heat or ac. It just keeps flashing the cool or hrat mode forever
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like thermostat definitely has an issue,It should not flash more than 5 minutes. Lets connect the red, blue and Y together at thermostat and see if we get air handler blower, and then at outdoor unit if we are getting 24v between the blue and green and yellow and green.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By connecting those 3 wires, only the blower works. Is that what is suppose to happen?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Blower should run and outdoor unit should run in cool mode if you have wires as I instructed.

Red to R

Yellow to Y

Blue to O both at thermostat and in outdoor unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only the blower works when I put this wires together. The outside unit doesn't turn on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the wiring at the unit outside.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The wires may not be making good connection or there is a break in them somewhere between thermostat and outdoor unit.or no high voltage power to outdoor unit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is a good idea if I run new 5 conductor wire. I am going to the hardware store after work today and picking it up.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Wire as follows

Go outside and wire as follows.

Blue to O

Red to R

Yellow to Y

White to W

Green to C

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finished the wiring. Is it possible that the reversing valve is stuck or burned out?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

It an be stuck or the solenoid bad. With power on plug and unplug it to see if you hear the solenoid click

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does click. And reads 17.87 volts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wrong. I heard a clicking but it is not from selenoind.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think the defrost board could be bad? Maybe I accidentally crossed some wires and burned out something?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Heck voltage in and out of board to verify you are getting accurate reain.17.8 is not enough to pull in solenoid.If 24 in but not out of board could be a bad defrost board

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah, I ordered a defrost board already, I think that's where the roblem is. It the defrost board is not working for cooling, will it also have an effect on the heating?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Yes everything goes through the defrost board.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The heat is working fine, as far as heating goes, i don't know if there may be something that the unit outside does when it gets colder outside on the heating mode that may effect it in colder temperatures?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Reversing valve need to shift back and forth when it goes into defrost to melt ice from coil.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I ordered a defrost board, should get it by Saturday. I am at work right now, but when i get home i will check the voltage going in. incase the voltage going in is not 24v, what else could it be?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Let me now and we will go from here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. thanks.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.Look forward to hearing back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received the new board and installed it. Still no luck. Still heats in cool mode.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK check now at that reversing valve solenoid to see if we are now getting 24 volts to it.

http://i.imgur.com/BFjV9JY.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Nothing. Reads 0 volts.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have 24 v into the defrost board and thermostat set to COOL and lowered below room temp?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where does voltage go in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the thermostat set to cool. Yes inside temp is 69 I set it to 59. Unit starts but heat comes out. I know the elements are not on.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

We should be getting 24v between Y and C from thermostat

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Hereon new board

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Getting 24v going in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For solenoid I am checking here. Is that correct?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Is that where reversing valve wires connect to board (I never found wiring diagram).

I usually unplug the reversing valve and check at the plug .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah. Those two orange wires go to the solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Disconnecting the wires at the solenoid. I test and it is giving me 19.27
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The solenoid reads 14.8 ohms
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about the delay.My daughter stopped by with my grandkids.We want to check voltage between the wires going to solenoid with thermostat calling for COOL.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

19.27 is not enough to energize solenoid. Check going into defrost board between the C wire and Y wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At y and c I get 24v.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK there is an issue somewhere between the wires into board and the reversing valve. We should be getting 24v out of board to solenoid.Did you have the solenoid unplugged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah. I had the solenoid unplugged and the leads inserted into the plug
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK is there anything between the board and the solenoid that could be draining power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I can tell. The wires just run straight from board to solenoid without branching of to anything else.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I am going to have to leave for dinner.I am going to open this to other experts. Please stand by to see if someone can assist you. have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk.Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The cooling was working. Could it be something at the air handler that may be not wired properly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today, it got to 30℉. I went outside to check out the unit thinking it may have frost on it, but the defrosting mode works and i could hear the reversing valve switching. Do you know why this may be working, but not the Cooling mode?