Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Installed a modine garrage heater in my attached two car

Customer Question

Hi installed a modine garrage heater in my attached two car garage everything went good. I have a question on the venting i went vertical out the corner of the garage through the roof and instructions said if im more then ten feet away from the pitch of
the roof only a 3 foot minimum stack is required. So Im perfect there after i got done installing i noticed the house that is attached to the garage is less then ten feet will this meet code or do i have to put a new vent in. I do have a picture if you need
one.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

As long as there are no windows withing 10' of the stack termination you should be ok. The concern is that anything within 10' can affect the draft if this is a gravity vent (not a power) unit. the general rule is 2' above anything within 10' but the manufacturer's instructions supersede this rule

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The nearest window is about fourteen 14' Im just worried if i have it inspected they will say the stack is two close to the house it self which is about seven feet. You think this will pass I tried to send a photo did it go through. Thanks Brian
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I'd take a shot with the inspector. If it's not obvious he's unlikely to go up on the roof and measure it. Just don't say anything to call it to his attention. Worst case he'll make you move it. Best approach with inspectors is to say nothing unless asked. I've been on jobs for other work and called something like this (already existing) to the inspectors attention and they usually just wave it off.