Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I ran out of oil and my burner shut down. Put 10 gallons of

Customer Question

I ran out of oil and my burner shut down. Put 10 gallons of diesel in the tank. Bled it but can't get it started.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.
Here are instructions for bleeding the air out of the line. Did you follow this procedure?
If you ran out of oil you do need to purge the air from the oil line. To do this you need a 3/8" (typically) open end wrench, a small container to catch the oil and a small piece of 1/4" od rubber tubing (the tubing isn't vital it just makes it a little easier). Locate the bleed fitting on the oil pump (on the left side of the oil burner where the oil line connects) it has a hex with a small hose barb protruding. Position your container directly below it. Loosen the hex. You will get a little oil and maybe a few bubbles. Now hit the reset button on the burner control and let it run until its a steady stream of oil (no bubbles). Tighten the hex back up and you're done. The burner should fire up once you close off the bleeder. You may need to hit the reset more than once. If your ignition control (the device with the reset button on the burner) is a R7184 then the control will go into a hard lockout if you push the reset more than twice. You need to hold the button down for at least 30 seconds to release the lockout.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did all of that. Burner started and then stopped twice.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

So you got good oil flow out of the bleeder, no bubbles?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Then you have an ignition problem. Could be a clogged nozzle, bad electrodes, improperly gapped electrodes, a bad transformer to name the most common ones

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checking again to see if we are getting ignition *flame)
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

if you had ignition your burner wouldn't lock out DO NOT hit the reset again!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are getting a flame but then it shuts down.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, would you say it's a strong flame? If so you could have a dirty cad cell (electric eye). You can try cleaning it. To do so you'll need to release the tab's on the boiler side of the transformer (the black box on top of the burner) then swing the transformer back on its hinge (turn the power off first). The cad cell (see attached pic) is attached to the underside of the transformer. Carefully wipe off the front (Glass side) of the cell then put the transformer back and try again.