Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
27672032

I've a Goodman All in one HVAC unit. It stopped putting out

Customer Question

Hello, I've a Goodman All in one HVAC unit. It stopped putting out cold air. Replaced the evaporator fan motor capacitor and it'll run, but I have to "bump start" the blades through the grill to get it going. It's under warranty still and I can get replacement parts free minus shipping, but, do you think it's the condenser fan motor or another issue? Model number is *****
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.

DId you replace the outdoor fan motor capacitor, or the evaporator capacitor? This would be two different capacitors.

Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.

The outdoor one may also do the compressor. If so it would have 3 sets of terminals, not two. The shipping is probably more than the price to just go get one locally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a 3 terminal cap that started both the compressor and fan motor. I replaced it with the spec match 40/5 farad 440 VAC cap for 5 bucks. The compressor kicks on fine, I just have to bump the fan to start.
Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.

Oh ok.... hmmm and all the wires are on the right terminals? You didnt replace the motor did you?

Generally, almost always... when it does what you are saying its the cap. I cant remember ever seeing a bad motor be the cause when you can spin it and get it going.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir, I double, triple checked...even have the old cap in hand. I labeled the terminals on the old cap and labeled the wires before removal to make sure it would be an easy install. 2 red wires went to the "C" terminal, 2 yellow to the "HERM" terminal and a brown to the "FAN" terminal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's still the factory motor and the new cap is the OE replacement
Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.

Ok,.. still sounds like a capacitor... Any chance you can take a picture of the wiring schematic????

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sending now
Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.... where are you sending it? Can you attach it here? (use the paperclip)....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached. I'm on a mobile.
Expert:  Douglas replied 1 year ago.

Great pic.... well thats all right... I cant say I have seen one do that with a new, appropriate capacitor. Let me opt out and let the others see if they have any idea. Being there with a meter is one thing, trying to test stuff online is another beast... lets see what the others have to say.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tell ya what Douglas...I found the culprit. Now to splice and move on.