BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

We are looking at a Trane XV95 furnace, how many btus would

Customer Question

We are looking at a Trane XV95 furnace, how many btus would we need for a 2 level w/basement 1700 sq ft home? One point I might add is that the home is lacking insulation and can get very cold and drafty in the winter. We had a 120000 btu Trane XV90 furnace
that we have been told many times was oversized.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

there are factors such as exposure, windows, climate etc...that is why usually a manual J calc is done. But I can tell you that you are likely around 70-80 thousand btu....and also the duct size is important

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in Chicago, so the winters here can be pretty rough. Lately we have had many below freezing days. My home faces south. The duct work in the home is a bit trivial some of the vents lead to nowhere. Even with that 120000 btu furnace we had some rooms that were freezing cold, mainly in our addition. As far as our windows there are about 16 windows, and a large patio door. The two story house is not insulated as there is no room between the brick and plaster to accommodate that. Also, how reliable are the new wifi thermostats? I've heard they can malfunction.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

wifi stats are more of a new toy. They save you nothing compared to a programmable with a standard schedule.

As far size of furnace...sq ft means nothing if the duct work is not big enough. You can have the best water pump there is...but if all you have is old 1/2 inch hose...thats all your getting.

You are burning 120,000 btu but wasting much of it. It would pay to identify 3-4 rooms you use consistently and improve the ductwork to them..even a couple rooms would be better than none.

Until you get the delivery system fixed the furnace will not matter.