Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Lennox Merit plus MPD40RNE. With the pilot in the

Customer Question

I have a Lennox Merit plus MPD40RNE. With the pilot in the off position, the wall switch will activate the pilot, but there is no second, expansion of the flame. All I see is a flame about half the size of an old baseball card about the mushroom cap fitting from which the gas seems to come.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You have a pilot flame as big as a baseball card?!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About half of an old bb card. It is vaguely "7" shaped, with a large area to the left and smaller area to the bottom.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If it's coming from the pilot then there's some thing wrong with the gas valve and it may need to be replaced. That would be the biggest pilot flame I've ever seen. The pilot burner is the mushroom shaped cap. You need to shut this down and call a pro to check this out. It's not safe to operate it in the condition you describe.