airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Im having some issues with my thermostat. I wired it up a

Customer Question

Im having some issues with my thermostat. I wired it up a while ago and had no issues with cooling, but now im having trouble getting the heating to work correctly. I have a radio thermostat, with C B O W W2 Y Y2 RH RC G A. The old thermostat was a Trane Heat pump Thermostat with O G Y X2 B W R T. Currently i have T not used.
B to C
R to RH jumper to RC
O to O
W to W
B t W2
Y to Y
G to G
Is my wiring the problem or does it sound like i may have just set up the thermostat wrong?
if i turn it to heat currently it shows that its on auxilary heat
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying BLACK to W2 and blue to C?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

And please provide model on the new thermosat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black to W2 yes.New Thermostat is a Radio Thermostat CT101
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Looking up manual,be right with you

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

In setup menu, do you have HP selected on the Norm/HP switch?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Make sure since we have a wire to both W and W2 you have selected d. See below:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have selected heat pump on the switch. I had option C selected though. The unit still displays aux heat though. Is this normal? Maybe it would say emergency heat if it was on emergency heat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I not connect the black wire? The manual for the thermostat suggests not to connect x2 on trane systems?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If you can look in air handler and see if the black and white go to same place, you can put them both to W on thermostat and select C as they are just requesting elements in both aux and emer mode. If the go to different places in air handler, leave them on W and W2.

The aux is telling us that both the heat pump and aux heat are on working together.When temp you are asking for is within 3 degrees of actual room temp, the AUX should go away and elements turn off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says aux heat pump when the heat is running at all. I unplugged the black wire from W2 (should be emergency heat?)and the heat is still working. It's set on 68 and its 66 in the house. In picture the tan unplugged wire is what I'm referring to as the black wire, as the new thermostat wire I put in had tan instead of black
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Lets try this. Disconnect the tan wire from thermostat.Move the white wire over to W2 and see what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still displays AUX heat pump but doesn't seem to be blowing warm air now. Would it help if I attached a picture of the inside of the panel?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Might if you can show wiring at air handler.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible this should be set up as an electric furnace instead of a heat pump? A friend of mine said I should set it up as a heat pump, but I was never completely sure about that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inside of air handler
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Not much help.I can not see the wiring terminal letters .I am going to open this to other experts who mayhave more ideas.I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk.Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.If no expert is able to assist we can request a refund of your deposit