Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I want to know if I can splice pex radiant floor in my hot

Customer Question

I want to know if I can splice pex radiant floor in my hot water baseboard loop. With it being one zone.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I'm afraid not at least not directly. The water temp for baseboard to be effective is at least 140 up to 200 and the water temp for a radiant zone is 120 max. The only way you can do this is if you install a mixing valve (to lower the water temp to the radiant) and a circulator/pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rick has said I can't mix pex radiant floor system into my hot water baseboard loop because the water will be too hot. Why is the pex rated for 200 degrees and the ultra fin system is talking about results at 180 degrees if I have to mix water
to get it to 120 like Rick has said.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Radiant flooring water temp is 120 max because anything hotter would make the floor too hot to walk on. The rating of the tubing has nothing to do with system design temp.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Please post follow up questions here instead of a new question thread. It doesn't matter. Any radiant floor system is never run at temps above 120. In fact 100 to 110 is the more common design temp.