Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Blower starts and stops, goodman air handler aspf313716aa.

Customer Question

When I switch the tstat to fan run, i hear a relay click and the blower motor trys to start, rumbles then spins down, rumbles then spins down, sometimes it is able to fully turn on and blows like normal for a few seconds and then cuts off and goes back to rubmling
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

It sounds like a bad blower motor. Is this a standard blower or an ECM motor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I tell the difference?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

A standard blower is shorter and has thicker wires. An ECM motor is longer and has thinner wires. Does your motor look similar to this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a 3 amp 3/4hp motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a 2009 unit
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I must forewarn you, troubleshooting an ECM motor is much more complicated than troubleshooting a standard blower. If you want to attempt, I recommend you download the ECM service guide. This will guide you through the troubleshooting techniques. There are also many good videos on YouTube that talk about troubleshooting ECM Genteq motors. Such as this one.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if these links (above) don't work for you. We have had some trouble with links.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

The part number for the replacement motor is 0131M00107

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

This is the replacement motor for your unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is what the sticker on the motor says.Rot:CW AMP:5.8 RPM: 1050
Motor#: 0131M00107S
Replacement#: 0131M00107S
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is correct. The part number is ***** same except for the S.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

But the link I sent you is, in fact, the correct part

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the motor is bad why would it still spin?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

That is typical of an ECM motor when it starts to go bad.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

But, as you can see, these motors are not cheap which is why I recommend troubleshooting first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any way to get it to spin enough to cool for the night?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Not that I'm aware of. A lot of times, the back part of the motor (called the module) goes bad. There are capacitors inside which can go bad.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I wish I could offer an easy fix. The good news is if it's a 2009 model, it MAY be still under warranty, however, it would only be the part, not labor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well that was smart of the engineers, put the cheap easy to replace parts inside the expensive hard to replace part.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I know. Although these motors save hundreds of dollars a year in electrical cost, the downside is when they go bad, they're expensive to replace.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I know for a number of years, Goodman units had a 10 year parts warranty. You may want to check your warranty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
who would I call to check on the warranty?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Your best bet is to call a local Goodcare dealer. These can be found on the website, dealer locator,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any other control modules or fan speed controlers that could be the issue?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I would also check the wiring to the motor. Make sure the wires are plugged in securely to the motor and board. It's usually motor that fails.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I have to leave for a bit for some service calls. Did you have any additional questions?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

One other simple check I thought of, you could go out and pick up a new thermostat if you have a cheap one or an older model. Since the thermostat is what sends the 24 volt signal to the air handler for blower to run, if it was bad, it may cause erratic operation. Again, I am not saying this is the problem, but could possibly be an issue.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have additional questions on this?