airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Our Honeywell thermostate all of a sudden went blank, as

Customer Question

Our Honeywell thermostate all of a sudden went blank, as though it is getting no power. It has operated fine for several years through electric wiring and no batteries installed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dan
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Dan it sounds like we have lost voltage from the indoor unit. Do you have a volt meter for troubleshooting? If so give me model on indoor unit and I can guide you in troubleshooting.Also anything happen recently such as electrical work or someone weedeating around outdoor unit that could have shorted a control wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the person that would do this for us is not available for a couple of weeks and I don't know how much help I would be for you. I don't mind calling a service person in but I wasn't sure if it's an electrician or heat pump type person that I should call.Thank you!
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Normally when this happens, there is a small auto type fuse in the air handler that you will find blown. However there is a cause that it blew which needs to be corrected. That can be a skinned control wire, a wire chewed by animal, or a defective component. If this is the case, until corrected a new fuse would also blow. On occasion installer will install a float switch in drain to break the 24v if drain gets stopped up.guidance, you can return to question for up to 30 days at no additional costs.

Thanks for letting me work with you.When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If you decide to call in a tech, you would need the heating and a/c contractor. Most electricians will not know where to start other than verifying we have power to unit.