Richard, Technical Manager
Experience:  27 years of Experience, NATE Certified, professional trainer
29828770

My MPLS thermostat 't work.May I replace it to thermostat

Customer Question

Hi,Richard! My MPLS thermostat don't work.May I replace it to thermostat CT31A? The problem is MPLS thermostat has 5 wires: G,W,Y,R,B. The new CT31A thermostat has 4 wires: G,W,Y,R (no B). May I don't use B wire? What have I to do with it?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for using JA. I will need as little more information before I can give you an answer. So, let me list a few things and see if you can get me the information. First, what equipment are you connecting it to ? as wire terminals mean different things with different equipment. Next, I need the model to the old thermostat MPLS is not the model so if you can locate that or take a photo this will make it easier to get you the correct information. Also, please clarify the models on you question it reads that you tried a CT87N but want to use a CT31A for a replacement. Thank you Richard

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to connect CT31A with 4 wires connections. I don't try CT87N, it was mistake. I can't find the model old thermostant, I made pic with interior and exterior
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you the picture was worth a 100 words, this sub base uses the B as a heating connection. So what ype of equipment do you have hooked up? often this goes to a heating damper motor. Depending on what is connected to B will tell us if you an use it or not.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

For future reference you have a T87 thermostat with a Q539A sub base

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back into to see if you found out the information? Depending on what is hooked up we might be able to get this thermostat to work.