BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I Had a GE Motor (Fan ) go bad. It was connected to the

Customer Question

I Had a GE Motor (Fan ) go bad. It was connected to the Circuit board W-Common, Black-High, Red-Low. When I purchased a new motor to replaced they had the Black, Red, yellow and blue with the 2 Capacitor wires. NO Common wire, where do I hook that up to from the circuit board.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Black is common, red, yellow and blue are Hi, Med and low speeds.

Hook it up that way, then try it with a clamp around amp meter on the common (black) and if the motor draws its rated full load amps and comes up to speed OK, then you have it wired correctly.

There should also be sticker on the side of the motor that shows black is common,, those can be a bit cryptic at times but if you spend a few minutes it will make sense to you.

You can buy a clamp around type amp meter at Home Depot for about $50 or at Harbor Freight for about $25.

I will be out of the office for an hour, then back here all day untill 11 pm

---------

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges.

If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried the White to Black-Still have the Relay click but NO Fan motor. The AMP meter shows NO Amps on the Black wire. What Next?

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, the relay is most likely bad, even if you had the motor wired incorrectly it would draw some amperage.

I need a photo of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower service panel... take it close up, well lit, and well focused..post it here using the paper clip icon at the top right of the tool bar.

We can go from there.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

many new motors use yellow as common. What is the model number of motor