airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Rheem ac unit fan not kicking

Customer Question

Rheem ac unit fan not kicking
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Indoor or outdoor fan? And do you have a volt meter for troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
outdoor unit i do have volt meter 110-220 I think the problem either the capacitor or the Relay? the fan works when i push the relay manually?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK if fan works when you push contactor relay I suspect neither compressor or fan come on ,but when pushing relay in both come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the model number for the unit RAKA-018JAZ and the serial number 5337m06942611
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

And can you check for 24 volts to the contactor coil with your meter?http://i.imgur.com/3Ejsatf.png

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fan works in the unit fine but the compressor fan does not kick unless you push the relay
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK I understand indoor fan is working. But in outdoor unit, neither compressor or fan come on unless yo manually engage contactors right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how i can test the capacitor? i think it needs different meter
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK, it sounds like we are not getting 24v from inside to the contactor coil to tell them to engage.If they come on when pressing contactor, the capacitor is good.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

WE want to check to see if we are getting 24v to the contactor coil terminals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a gut cam in and told me the motherboard is not working, so i replaced it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Tell me model on your meter so I can see if it will test the 24 volts. We will put one lead on each terminal on side of contactors where thermostat control wires plug in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my meter can test 110 and 220 that is it
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK you will need a meter that ill read low voltage for troubleshooting.You can get one at Walmart for about 15 bucks. Our problem is going to most likely be that there is a break in the low voltage circuit between indoor unit, thermostat and the contactors. We are not getting a signal to the contactor to pull the contactors in.

Often thius break can be through a float switch in main drain if it is blocked up, a chewed or broken wire, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay we can continue the diagnostic once i got one later on today, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will not rate now if that is okay with you
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely. Start at the contactor coil and work back to unit. WE should have 24 volts where the wires leave the time delay going to contactors ( if your unit has one). WE should have 24v in to time delay(If your unit has one). We should have 24v between the wires where they enter the condensing unit and we should have 24v inside where wires leave going outside.Once we find where we are losing the 24v we will have determined the problem. I am a Rheem/Ruud dealer so very familiar with the unit. Look forward to helping you solve this.And yes, please wait until we are finished to rate answer.