Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I purchased a Friedrich breeze 24,000 btu do-it-yourself and

Customer Question

Hi there, I purchased a Friedrich breeze 24,000 btu do-it-yourself and installed it roughly about 5 months ago. Mainly we have just used the dehumidify mode and the a/c mode occasionally. The dehumidify mode was usually all that we needed to make it cool and comfortable even on hot days. When we would turn it to a/c mode, we could definitely feel the cold air blowing. But now it's 55-75 deg outside throughout the day and it is very uncomfortably warm inside no matter whether we're in dehumidify or a/c modes. Inside unit is blowing but I noticed the outside unit is not. I was wondering what could be the issue. Is the outside unit supposed to be running? Is it a matter of recharging the system? Thanks in advance.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

The way we test that sort of thing is to set the controls to the extremes, set the system on cooling and down to 60F.... then 15 minutes later to heating and up to 90F. tell me if the outside unit runs or not, and feel the two copper tubes attached in each case and tell me if on of them gets cold with cooling on and hot with heating on or not.

The system does not need refrigerant unless it has a leak, see if you can see any signs of oil around the copper tube connections at the unit outside or not.

I am off to bed in half an hour, if I miss you tonight I will pick your response up first thing in the morning.

We can go from there.