Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a house in the Colorado Rockies that when I leave

Customer Question

I have a house in the Colorado Rockies that when I leave for the week I shut the water off to the house. I have a munchkin boiler. The house was built in 1999. Does the boiler and heating system (in floor) require the water in the house be left on or can I continue to shut it off?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial answer doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

The water can be shut off and it shouldn't affect your hot water heating system. There is a check valve in the feed valve (that regulates water pressure let into the boiler) that will keep the water from backing out of the system but it's best to shut off the manual water supply shut off to the heating system anyway. If you leave the house for extended periods in the Winter you might want to consider filling the heating system with anti-freeze.