BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

My ac unit is not working, it was working fine today and it

Customer Question

my ac unit is not working, it was working fine today and it just stopped.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Ok does anything run on the outside unit? If not does the BLOWER fan run when you set the thermostat to fan on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No blower fan does not run, does the unit have a reset switch?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Ok if nothing runs, then you may have blown your low voltage fuse in the unit. Get to the board in the airhandler or furnace and check the slot fuse on the board. There is a 3-5amp slot fuse right on the main control board. See if it is blown and replace it if it is. Let me know what you find.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I use a 10 or 15 amp fuse
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

I would not suggest that if you have a short in the low voltage wiring and have too heavy of a fuse say hello to a new board:)

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

replacing a fuse without knowing what blew it can cause another fuse to blow. When a fuse blows on a circuit board it is commonly caused by wiring outside to the ac unit. There is a skinny cable with 2 wires that can get pulled, weedwacked, chewed etc...this requires repairing the wire before replacing the fuse. Another issue not so common is a bad contactor in the outdoor unit

I do have follow up available, and I do not ask for tips.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband replaced the air filter and the unit stopped working. It was running fine prior to him doing this
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

was the bottom door removed? Any wires moved out of the way? What is make/model?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rheem classic quiet 80
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Thank you...that indeed has the purple 3 amp at corner where thermostat wires attach

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attaches right in the board
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

correct. I apologize for the confusion.

I saw it was a furnace question and took it as that is my daily job. Actually worked hands on with Rheem for over 20 years.

The other tech online was a washer/dryer tech. I will op out. But if you need manuals let me know as I am registered directly with Rheem