Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I had a contractor convert my 800 sf garage into a family

Customer Question

I had a contractor convert my 800 sf garage into a family room and expanded our existing master bedroom to 850 sf and added a new 500sf closet directly above the family room. The HVAC contractor put in a YORK down draft furnace (model: AVY24B3XH21A) on my main level in a 3' x 3' closet with a solid door in the family room (even though the architect designed the remodel for the furnace & blower to be on the 2nd level). The furnace/blower has only one cold air return 6" x 12" in the wall space directly above closet door that houses the furnace/blower in the family room. The family room is well insulated and we seldom need the furnace or the AC. The contractor cut two holes in the side of the furnace and ran two 6" black flex ducts to the 2nd story to serve 2 floor air supply floor vents he installed in the master bedroom and 2 vents he installed in the closet to heat and cool the 850 sf master bedroom and 500 sf closet. There is NO cold air return on the 2nd level and the only cold air return is the one mentioned above. The contractor said cold air will flow down the stairs and be drawn back to the furnace/blower on the main level. We have NO air upstairs thus NO heat or AC. The AC unit is YORK model TCGD24S21S2A. Another local technician says the unit(s) are grossly undersized and the furnace/blower unit needs to be moved upstairs like it was originally designed, especially since it is a down draft unit. What are your ideas.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial answer doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

First off the existing return is way undersized even if it would work the way the installer claimed. Of course it won't since all it would take is closing a door between the return and the room for the single return to be useless. Also just 2 6" branch ducts to handle 4 registers is also grossly undersized. I have no Idea why a downdraft unit was used since it's not suitable for this application installed on the main level.
Have you contacted the general contractor and/or the HVAC contractor. This entire ducting arrangement needs to be reworked and they should foot the bill. If you don't have any luck with them your next step might be to contact a lawyer since the work required to fix this is probably going to cost more than the small claims limits in most States.