HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have an old thermostat (80s) on a heatpump that I want to

Customer Question

I have an old bryant thermostat (80s) on a heatpump that I want to change. The wiring on the old one is as follows: Red-r, blue-C, Green-G, Yellow-y, White-w1, Brown-e, black-w2, orange-0.
I am replacing it with a honewell rth6350. It is marked with L, AUX/E, G, O/B, Not Used, Y, R, RC. In the wiring diagram, it shows E going to AUX. It also shows W or w2 going to aux. Y Goes to y, R goes to RC, O goes to O/B, and it says to leave C disconnected. I'm really not sure what to do about the w1 & w2
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

That really is not the right thermostat for your setup you have 2 stage heating with emergency heat, that thermostat is not capable of doing that.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks