HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Have rheem furnace and it worked all last winter, now trying

Customer Question

have rheem furnace and it worked all last winter, now trying to fire it up for this winter and seems to not ignite. its a 95 % furnace. turns on, goes through the motions but no ignition
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Does the ignitor glow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its sparks, does not glow
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Ok if it sparks do you get a flame for even a second or anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, have taken off the gas line and there is gas running.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK then you could have a gas valve issue..not likely though or just a bad ignition module...Very likely on that unit. The ignition module sends power to the gas valve when sparking it may be defective they just go bad all the time.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would i find the module and is it something i can test
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

The ignition module is inside the furnace where all the wires connect can you see it and get me the number off of it or upload a picture of it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are two modules in bottom cabinet and a ballist looking thing, along with mother board. which is it
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

It should have a large insulated spark plug type wire going to it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no luck finding anything resembling that
i found sticker on side of furnace # *****
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Can you upload a pic of the boards here I am not finding that model