Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Goodman CKT36-1A Condenser unit outside. In the

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Goodman CKT36-1A Condenser unit outside. In the last 2 days it started getting very hot, and I noticed the fan blades are not moving and the copper tubing is hot. There were some materials on top of the condenser that were probably blocking air from flowing freely. THose materials have been removed, but the unit is just turning on and heating up. Any advice?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got it working by simply sticking a screw drive in the top and moving the fan blades a little, That started the fan spinning and the condenser kicked in. Turned it off and had to do it again. Will I need to do that every time or is there a permanent fix?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, it is nearly 100% likely that the fan motor is over 7 to 10 years old and the bearings are worn and allowing the rotating part inside the motor to rub on the outer electrical windings, that is common and is why the motor needs a push start.

There is maybe 2% chance that the run capacitor attached to is getting weak.

Tell me a lot about your technical skill sets, and how old the system is approximately and I can advise you more accurately from there, without any time limits.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Phil. The unit was installed in 2002, and I think your fan motor diagnosis is probably right. I fix 90% of problems myself if I've got a manual, but the manual that comes with this unit is skimpy on details. I can certainly get into the unit, and into the fan motor assembly if advised. What do you recommend?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, you can order an exact replacement fan motor from the various on line sources, ask them to send you a diagram of the motor wiring so that it is the same as the motor you have.

http://www.americanhvacparts.com/

call them on the phone at the top right of their opening page, tell them you want the OEM replacement, hopefully it will come with identical wiring that you will not have to figure out.

Or you can remove the motor and take it Grainger Industrial supply, or Johnstone supply and get a match up for mounting configuration, speed, horse power, voltage, shaft size and rotation (mark the rotation on the motor before you remove it).. avoid the Dayton brand, get their GE brand... and a new run capacitor to go with it.

------------

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges.

If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.