HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a Rheem air conditioner that I am replacing the fan

Customer Question

I have a Rheem air conditioner that I am replacing the fan motor. The old motor had the following wiring:
black wire
orange wire-went to the capacitor
dull orange- went to the other side of the capacitor
New motor has 4 instead of 3 wires as follows:
black wire-this should connect where the old black wire connected
brown wire-does this go to the new capacitor that came with motor?
brown&white wire - does this connect to the same side of capacitor as brown wire?
yellow wire-does this go to the opposite side of the new capacitor?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

What part number motor did you get?

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

The Brown and Brown with white will go to the CAPACITOR Black is you supply and Yellow is your Neutral.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Condenser Fan Motor is Century FSE1016sv1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as asked in original question do the brown and the brown&white wire go to one side of the capacitor and the yellow goes to the other side of the same capacitor?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

What three wires do you have to hook up to the motor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you cannot answer my original question just let me know. Thanks.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

I just want to know what three colors you have to hook up to the new motor...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me try restating. The old motor had three wires a black wire, a orange wire (that went to one side of a capacitor), and a dull orange wire (that went to the opposite pole of the capacitor).The new motor has four wires with colors - black, brown, brown&white, and yellow.
I assume the black wire goes to the same location as the old black wire. Do the brown and the brown&white wires connect to one pole of the capacitor and the yellow wire connects to the other pole of the same capacitor?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

You should hook Black to the Black The orange to Yellow and then the Brown and Brown with white to each side of the CAP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached a photo of the old wires connected to the capacitor (shown in the lower left hand side of photo). The orange wire from motor goes to one side of the capacitor and the dull orange wire goes to the other side of the capacitor.So based on what you have said the yellow wire will connect where the dull orange wire is now. The brown wire will go where the current orange wire is located and the brown&white wire will attach next to the brown wire (on the same side of the capacitor). Is this correct? Hopefully this will do it!
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

CLICK HERE

Your Brown and Brown/White are strictly capacitor wires and the other two are your 120 volt feeds

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From what you said I believe you are saying the original wiring description should not work. But it is the way it was wired and I have checked in a sister air conditioner that we have and it is exactly as stated and shown in the photo. That is the old motor had three wires a black wire (hot wire), an orange wire (that went to one side of a capacitor), and a dull orange wire (that went to the opposite pole of the capacitor).Are you saying only the brown wires should go to the capacitor with no other wires going to the capacitor?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

No it can be wired, One of the ORANGE wires is your Neutral and your Black is hot the other was just your capacitor jumper, The new motor is basically the same, but you will just have the Orange to Yellow and the Black to black and the browns to the capacitor, the jumper orange will be eliminated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You said orange to yellow and orange will be eliminated. You didn't specify which is the dull orange.Does this mean the connection to one side of the capacitor will be the existing dull orange connected to the new yellow wire. On the other side of the capacitor the brown and the brown&white wire will be attached.Sorry but the emails haven't been clear.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Can you send me a picture of your wiring diagram on the unit?