HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a first co. closet furnace and it's giving me some

Customer Question

I have a first co. closet furnace and it's giving me some trouble. The thermostat is working. But there's no reaction from the furnace or ac when either are set to turn on. Breakers have been checked. Fuses are good. 120v at wall outlet. After removing the cover i see dripping water everywhere. The blower fan is in the bottom of the housing. (Furnace is a small box unit that hangs above the water heater. ) the radiator coils are on the left and top of the blower fan motor. The upper coils are set in a thin space between the top of the unit and a drip pan seperating them from other compenents below. How ever a vent is directly below them which leads the the blower fan it's self.. Thats an problem. And the water is touching electrical compenents (control board?) In the upper right housing in the same space as the coils & drip pan.. the door switch is receiving power on the unit but there are other electrical components in the same flooded housing as the switch... What do I need to replace. And what do i need to read to know how to do it myself..
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Is the drain hole for the drain pan plugged up as the water obviously is overflowing out of it into the unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the drain hole is not plugged
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The evaporator coils at the top have flooded the unit
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

How is the water getting out of the unit there has to be a drain pan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a condensation line from thr drip pan to the floor drain
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

So how is the water getting out?