Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

We have a electric heating unit in our home model 3400A816.

Customer Question

Hi, we have a Coleman electric heating unit in our home model 3400A816 . The heating element is working fine its the fan or motor to the fan thats acting up, at first it just wouldn't turn on when the thermostat would kick in but it would run when we would turn the switch to fan on inside the unit. Now even with forcing the motor, it will suddenly make a loud whirring sound and just completely stop spinning altogether. Im not sure if its a barring that can be replaced or if the whole motor needs to be replaced, can you help me out? Thanks for your time
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

Unfortunately, the motor will need to be replaced. They do not make these motors with replaceable bearings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think thats most likely the problem with the info that ive given you? And if I were to order the part and replace it myself, typically how difficult would it be? I can be pretty handy and a quick learner, good with directions, if that helps at all to gauge the answer.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I think you could do it. Make sure you order an OEM replacement motor from one of the many sites that sell Coleman parts so the wiring will be the same. Mark everything before you start so you know where all the wires go. I think if motor gets noisy after a while,, then, yes, this is most likely the issue.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I also recommend replacing the run capacitor at the same time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think there would be any issue with the fan as well? And do you happen to have any general idea of how much those parts could run?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

If you are talking about the blower wheel, no I doubt it. It's not very often these need replacement unless they are out of balance. Motors typically run $150-200, run capacitors are cheap at usually under $15

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I know if its an OEM motor or not, I know that may be a stupis question but I want to be sure, the motor I found is a coleman #1468.120p meant for the 3400 & 3500 serious electric furnaces.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Wherever you purchase it, they should be able to tell you if it is a "generic" motor. or an OEM replacement.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.