Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a mach 3 low profile roof air unit on my sprinter RV.

Customer Question

I have a coleman mach 3 low profile roof air unit on my sprinter RV. It is ran by a Honda 3000 generator. My generator stopped going to high idle when the compressor on the A/C unit would kick in. It would just barely give enough power to run the A/C for a couple nights. I took the generator in and had it fixed and now I plugged the A/C into it and it comes on and you can hear the compressor kick in but the air is not cold. It there a reset button anywhere on the A/C unit?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have not heard back from anybody please contact me asap?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

Sorry for the delay your question got moved over to the RV section.... What happens when you plug into shore power? Will the AC unit work properly?

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Does same thing.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

If the compressor is coming on after the fans the air should be cold. I would get up on the roof and do an inspection. Make sure you do not see an oily residue near the compressor, that would be a sign of a failure. Make sure the condenser coils are not plugged up with dirt or debris. You wills see fins on the back of the AC unit, make sure they are clear. Go inside and make sure you do not feel cold air in the return ducting as well. There is no reset on this, if the compressor is kicking on the air should be cold, if the compressor was not kicking on then it could be a number of other things. The only other item I would check is the AC voltage at the AC unit. To me it sounds like the compressor has failed or possibly leaked out the refrigerant. These are sealed systems and should never need a charge. It can be done but normally you would need piercing valves and a speical lic to handle the freon along with gages to accomplish that. I might have a shop at least diagnose this and go from there.... Robert