airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Replaced my Trane 11 seer unit from 2000 with a new Trane

Customer Question

Replaced my Trane 11 seer unit from 2000 with a new Trane XB16, 16 seer unit. The old unit worked fine and through 14 South Florida summers, was always able to maintain whatever temperature was selected on the thermostat. My new (May 2014) 2 stage Trane cannot keep the temperature selected. At 17:00 today, with a selected 74 degrees, the interior temperature in the house is 77. 3 service calls have resulted in nothing being wrong with the unit. I am told by Juan or Jose who did the service that the new units, to make higher seer ratings will not cool a house lower than a 20 degree +/- difference between inside and outside. I am advised by people who have newer, high seer units that their A/C can maintain inside temperatures equal to or lower than I am selecting with no trouble. My house is 3000 sq ft and both Trane units are 5 ton. I wrote to Trane customer service and was not responded to. What is wrong with my Trane A/C unit?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like your contractors are feeding you a line of crap. The newer units produce the same amount of ac as the old ones. In otherwords if you had a true 5ton (60,000 btu) unit and it cooled fine, a new 60,000 btu 5 ton should cool equally well just more efficiently.Hopefully Trane will follow up with you and get these slackers do find out what the problem is.

The 20 degree is a good rule of thumb, but if you had a five ton previously and new unit is a 5 ton, you should be able to get equally cooling.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a thermometer to check the temp difference between return ands supply air?