Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

We got a brand new central AC unit June of 2014. It had been

Customer Question

We got a brand new central AC unit June of 2014. It had been working great until the recent heat wave we've had in LA. When it's over 90 degrees outside the compressor doesn't turn on. Our HVAC guy has come out 3 different times and can't figure out what the problem is. He's checked the capacitor and says it was fine. Cleaned the coils, checked all the levels of everything. He put on a hard start, he put in new breakers and power. If I turn the power off and hose down the unit, it cools it off and it starts working again. if it is below 90 degrees, it works fine. Any ideas of what could be causing this?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

You may need to get a new HVAC guy. There are many possible reasons for this. The fact that when you hose it down, it runs, tells me it is probably running high head pressure and the compressor may be going off on internal overload. This can be caused by an overcharge, or air and non-condensables in the system. This happens when it is not properly evacuated before putting into operation.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any questions on this?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.