Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a Trane Gas Furnace, Induced Draft- 1 Stage Heat and

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Trane Gas Furnace, Induced Draft- 1 Stage Heat and it's 20 yrs old. Water is starting to leak to the bottom of the furnace when it is running. There is still water (condensation) that is flowing through the drain, but it looks like there is a leak somewhere in the furnace. I was not able to see the leak when I took the covers off.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

More than likely the front cover over the secondary heat exchanger has cracked or possibly one of the drain hoses is leaking. Given the age, this is very likely. Does this happen with air conditioning or just with the heat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is happening with the air conditioning running. Seems to be fine when just running the fan. We are not using heat.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Some things to check: check your furnace filter, should be clean, check the fitting that comes off the coil and goes to the drain hose-rinse and clean out both drain hose and fitting. If all these things are OK, more than likely the coil pan has a crack or hole in it and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any questions on this. Otherwise, good luck and thanks for using Just Answer. Please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise, experts work at their own time and expense. Follow up questions are always welcome.