Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Trane XE70 HVAC Unit (Circa 1988) that is blowing

Customer Question

I have a Trane XE70 HVAC Unit (Circa 1988) that is blowing warm air instead of cold. Both the blower and compressor motors are functioning, however the compressor motor doesn't sound like it is under load. No tripped breakers in the main electrical service. Any ideas?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

If the compressor is running and drawing about 25% of its full load amp rating, the system either has a refrigerant leak and is way low on refrigerant (90% chance if that is the case). ... or the rotor in the compressor has broken (thats about a 2% chance)... the other 7% chance is that the compressor is not actually running..(use a clamp around type amp meter to verify that).

We can begin there, tell me what you can discover...there is no time limit on this question.